Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Chance


I am mostly interested in the notion of "Chance" in Art. This notion is lending and generous and adheres to any act at any time. Every action is welcomed and actually and purposefuly adds to the richess of the experience. As with any form of unpredictable happening, chance takes place in my performance within the very beggining, or the birth of the idea. Every single thought gets documented in text, wether it is my doubts about the reaction of the public, to my outings around town, chancely looking for the dress or apparel most adecuate. All errors are invited. In fact they are part of the action itself. For example, the day of my Poemas de Amor in Quito, I painted the little adds, two hours prior, because I did not know before how to put together such ºaddº. I was able to ºsee itº only hours before the performance. My clothes too, I choose with the aid of ºFortuneº on a whim just before going. It is all a very difficult exercise that takes long months even years of practice. Not to plan anything, not to expect anything, leave it all open, leave it all to CHANCE.

No comments: